Trenchless Pipe Bursting
Sewer Pipe Bursting: What You Need To Know
If you are dealing with damaged or broken sewer pipes, sewer pipe bursting is a trenchless method of repair or replacement that can save you time and money. This method involves pulling a new pipe through the existing damaged or broken pipe, without the need for digging trenches. The broken sections of the pipe are welded using heat, making the pipe durable and increasing its longevity. Specialized tools such as hydraulic or pneumatic expansion heads, cables, and winches are used to minimize damage to the existing landscape.
When Do I Need to Use Sewer Pipe Bursting?
Sewer pipe bursting is ideal when your home has damaged, cracked, or leaking pipes. This method of repair saves your yard from damage, and is less time-consuming, requires less labor, and is less costly than other pipe repair methods. It is suitable for pipes with an inside diameter range of 100 mm to 600 mm (4 in. to 24 in.), as well as for sewer lateral lines that range from 4 to 6 inches in diameter.
The Two Most Popular Types of Sewer Pipe Bursting Repair
There are two types of sewer pipe bursting: The static full system and the pneumatic system. The main differences between these systems are the energy source used, the breaking method, and the method of operation.
- The static pull system is the most commonly used method. This method involves bringing the cone-shaped expansion head through a rod or cable through the existing pipe with the help of a hydraulic unit. The force can reach up to 30 tons of pulling pressure, breaking the pipe as it creates space for the new pipe.
- Pneumatic systems are driven by compressed air to break the existing pipes.
Sewer Pipe Bursting: A Quick Walk Through
The process of sewer pipe bursting involves the following steps:
- Video Inspection: An experienced technician inserts a high-resolution video sewer camera into your sewer pipe. The video footage provides information on the depth and location of the sewer line, as well as the source of the issues related to your sewer line problems.
- Digging: Two small entry and exit points are dug close to the foundation and next to your property line of your house.
- Heat-Welding: The new sewer pipe is heat-welded above ground. This is done carefully, to ensure that no damage to your property occurs.
- Mechanical Pulling: The new pipe is pulled through the old pipe, bursting the old pipe, while simultaneously installing the new pipe!
Main Benefits of Sewer Pipe Bursting
Experience these benefits when using the pipe-bursting method:
- Avoid the need for excavation and replacement of yard landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks.
- Eliminate the risk of damage to your property, the surrounding areas, and underground utilities.
- No need to stop traffic.
- Reduced risk of injury to laborers.
- Increased flow capacity by installing equal or larger-diameter pipes. Up to a lifespan of 100 years.
- Most types of existing pipe materials can be burst, with the exception of HPDE, some forms of ductile iron, and reinforced concrete.
Sewer pipe bursting is an efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly method of repairing or replacing damaged or broken sewer pipes. By using this method, homeowners can save time and money while avoiding significant disruption to their landscaping. Call us today on 408-279-1515 to book an appointment!